A Hell No One Wants to See: Finding Truth When the World Expects a Lie
Dear Douglass True Fans,

It's hard to articulate the complexities of navigating life, both as a woman and as an individual, when you don't conform to typical expectations. The struggles we face, both emotionally and mentally, are profoundly shaped by our gender, yet also by our unique journeys.
The Emotional and Mental Landscape of Gender
For women, the struggle often involves a unique set of pressures. We're frequently told to be nurturing and selfless, but then, when we prioritize our own needs, we're labeled as selfish or difficult. The emotional toll of constantly balancing these expectations can be immense. For instance, expressing strong emotions might be seen as "hysterical" in women, whereas in men, it might be perceived as "passion." This double standard can force women to suppress their true feelings, leading to internal conflict and emotional exhaustion. Think about the pressure to always be "nice," even when faced with unfairness. This constant suppression can lead to anxiety and a feeling of disconnect from one's authentic self.
Men face their own distinct emotional and mental battles. They are often conditioned to be strong, stoic, and to hide vulnerability. This can lead to a profound sense of isolation, as admitting weakness might be seen as a failure of masculinity. For example, a man struggling with depression might internalize his pain, believing it's not "manly" to seek help or express sadness. This can manifest as anger, recklessness, or even physical symptoms, as emotional pain finds other outlets. The pressure to be the provider and protector can also lead to immense stress and a feeling of inadequacy if they perceive themselves as falling short.
My Personal Journey Through the Struggle
As a woman, I've continually struggled to find my place among my own sex because I simply am not like them. I strive not to be selfish, yet when I am, I'm immediately branded as a bad person. I absorb so much because I’ve endured a kind of hell no one would ever wish to experience. I know the profound agony of feeling powerless, unable to protect those you love. I understand the crushing feeling of being discarded and left as if you’re nothing, forcing yourself to feign indifference. I know what it’s like to dedicate your entire being to something, only to be crushed by its immense weight. And undeniably, I know the profound heartbreak that love can inflict.
While many present a curated version of themselves, I possess a clear understanding of who I am, who I am striving to be, and who I want to become. Few possess the courage to speak their truth as openly as I do. I have the strength to walk away and never look back. I'm not afraid to admit to making questionable choices in my life—in friendships, romantic relationships, and even in my chosen family. You might find this hard to believe, but I’m currently friends with some individuals I'd affectionately call "assholes." These aren't assholes in the traditional sense; rather, they challenge me with unflinching honesty, holding me accountable even for past events I'd rather forget. While I may not always be happy, I've clearly made a significant impact, as they value me as someone they never want to lose.
I am a woman who has made numerous mistakes, endured the loss of more family members than I can count, mourned friends who died too young, and removed more people from my life than you will ever know. Yet, through it all, I remain true to myself and my authentic identity. I choose not to conform to the dictionary definition of my gender, as being ordinary is simply not my nature, and I have my own distinct way of resolving unfinished business.
Considering the universal impulse to shield ourselves from vulnerability, what essential piece of our authentic selves do we sacrifice when we attempt to conform, not just to societal expectations, but to the very person we believe others want us to be?
Sincerely,
Starlight Sparks


Comments
Post a Comment