Poem: Second Chances Get In Your Own Lane

 Second Chances Get In Your Own Lane

God, my heart is filled with love

But tired of giving second chances

To those who never deserve it

I give my all, my heart, my trust

Even when it all falls apart



One plus one doesn't equal three

No guarantees of second chances

After you try to break me

You can be controlling, manipulative

Vain, not listening, unwilling to communicate


Should I give a second chance to thee

Why not just let go and let it be

One plus one doesn't equal

Second chances aren't guaranteed

Hold my heart or set me free

As easy as knowing your ABC's


I'm sitting here, wondering

Why do I keep giving chances

To those who don't appreciate

The love I have to offer

Should I continue to give

Or should I finally let go


Why do I allow myself

To be hurt again and again

Why do I keep believing

In the goodness of others

When all they do is break me

And leave me shattered


I try to see the best in people

But sometimes it's hard to find

When they only show me

Their worst side

I want to believe in redemption

In second chances and forgiveness


But how many times can one person

Be hurt before they break

Before they lose faith

In the goodness of humanity

In the power of love


I want to hold on to hope

That people can change

That hearts can be healed

But at what cost to my own

Should I keep giving second chances

Or finally walk away


I love deeply, I love fiercely

But I'm tired of being taken for granted

Tired of being hurt

Tired of giving my all

Only to be left empty-handed


So maybe it's time to set boundaries

To protect my heart, my soul

To stop giving chances

To those who don't deserve them

To finally let go

And set myself free


God, my heart is so full of love

But I can't keep giving second chances

To those who never learn

To those who only break me

I deserve better, I deserve more

I deserve to be loved and cherished


So I'll hold my head up high

And walk away with pride

Knowing that I am worth

So much more than second chances

I deserve a love that is true

A love that is pure and genuine


One plus one doesn't equal three

No guarantees of second chances

After you try to break me

You either hold my heart

Or set me free


And I choose to set myself free

From the cycle of second chances

From the pain and heartache

I choose to love myself

And let go of those

Who don't deserve my love and I promise I will always be enough


Comments

Popular Posts