Poem: The World I Can Breathe In

 The World I Can Breathe In



In a world where expectations weigh heavy,

I've felt the burden of others' desires,

Their eyes always watching, waiting for me to falter,

To stumble and fall, proving their suspicions right.


I lived in a world where hatred festered,

Where ugliness seeped into my skin,

Where the mirror reflected a version of myself

That I couldn't bear to face.


Sleep eluded me, slipping through my grasp,

As sadness enveloped me like a suffocating blanket,

But then you came into my world,

A light in the darkness, a beacon of hope.


You saw me, truly saw me,

And in your eyes, I found beauty,

Not the superficial kind that fades with time,

But a beauty that radiated from within.


You didn't treat me as less than,

You didn't expect me to conform to society's standards,

Instead, you embraced my flaws and imperfections,

Loving me for who I truly am.


Your kindness and humor brought joy to my days,

Your presence a balm to my wounded soul,

And in your calm demeanor, I found peace,

A respite from the storm that raged within me.


With you, I didn't have to pretend,

I didn't have to wear a mask or hide my true self,

You accepted me, flaws and all,

Creating a judgement-free zone where I could be free.


At first, I was scared,

Scared of losing you, scared of being abandoned once more,

But you showed me, time and time again,

That you were here to stay, unwavering and constant.


You're not perfect, and neither am I,

But in our imperfections, we find strength,

In our shared humanity, we find connection,

A bond that transcends the superficial.


I used to believe God made no mistakes,

Only lessons and blessings in disguise,

But now I see that you are my blessing,

My angel sent from above to guide me towards growth.


With you by my side, I am no longer bound by others' expectations,

No longer weighed down by the hatred and ugliness of the world,

I am free to be myself, to shine like the beautiful soul that I am,

And for that, I am eternally grateful.


So thank you, my friends and thank you my buddy, for showing me the way,

For being my rock in a sea of uncertainty,

For loving me unconditionally and helping

 me see that I am worthy of love, of happiness, of life.


Comments

Popular Posts