The Year the Tides Turned

 Dear Douglass True Fans,



Remember the summer of 2021? The world felt like it was shifting under our feet. Influencers were on the rise, dominating social media with their curated lives, and small businesses were fighting tooth and nail to survive the ongoing pandemic, adapting in incredible ways. Everyone was trying to find their footing in a world that felt completely upside down. Amidst all that global chaos and change, my personal world was also in flux, and that year truly changed me forever.


It was the first time I truly fell hard for someone, the first time I was genuinely in love. And it was also the summer I felt the deepest betrayal from someone I considered my best friend. Letting her set me up with her ex-boyfriend, and then him turning crazy because I wasn't getting vaccinated – that was a terrible idea. Especially when, at the time, there was so much fear about the vaccine. But what hurt even more was finding out she wanted me in that "relationship" so he'd keep dealing her stuff on the side. No wonder the next person I met was better – he was my choice, and he became my first love. It's wild to think that during one of the craziest times in my life, I was falling in love.


2021 was also the year I finally stood up to my family, after years of trying to be their perfect daughter. That shift really came after experiencing another family member's death. I moved out within 30 days between Thanksgiving and Christmas. And yes, I did get vaccinated, though I’ve still never actually caught COVID-19 to this day.


That summer was my breaking point, a time of transformation. I realized I don't deserve to be lied to, or betrayed, or heartbroken, or used. As crazy as that summer was, I don't regret a single moment of it. Even the strange encounter with a childhood friend who walked into my life and then asked me out while I was buying my own birthday cake on my birthday. Even the degrading comments made about my body. Because now, when I walk into a room, I command respect.


The last thing I remember clearly from that summer was someone telling me I was smart and beautiful, and that I was going to go far with school. Believe it or not, that stuck with me, and it still does.


The summer of 2021 is when I changed, and I’m not sorry about it. We all have to grow and do what feels right for us. I’m telling you this because everyone has a story, or stories. I have multiple. I was just a couple of weeks old when 9/11 happened, and I survived the COVID-19 pandemic without ever getting sick. I’m stronger and smarter today because of everything I went through, and I have no regrets.


Considering the betrayals, the difficult choices, and the moments of unexpected kindness, how do you navigate the messy parts of life to find your own strength and transformation?


Sincerely,

Starlight Sparks

Comments

Popular Posts