My Definition of Winning (and It's Not What They Told You)

Dearest Douglass-True Fans,

They’ll tell you to chase the bag, but I’m chasing peace. And trust me, peace pays dividends they can’t even count. My report card isn’t graded by public opinion; my “A+” is waking up knowing I’m living my truth, not someone else’s highlight reel. Your worth isn’t determined by their applause.

We're constantly bombarded with images and stories of "success" – the sprawling mansions, the overflowing bank accounts, the endless accolades. But what if I told you that true winning isn't about collecting external trophies, but about cultivating an inner kingdom? It’s about defining success on your own terms, not the ones dictated by magazines or social media feeds.

Think about it: Zora Neale Hurston, a titan of the Harlem Renaissance, faced constant financial struggles and was often undervalued in her time. Yet, she fiercely pursued her artistic vision and anthropological research, prioritizing her creative integrity and cultural contribution over commercial gain. Her "winning" wasn't in her bank account, but in her enduring legacy and unique, powerful voice that still resonates today.

Or consider someone you might know – perhaps a friend who left a high-paying, soul-crushing corporate job to pursue a passion that offers less financial reward but immense personal fulfillment and joy. Or the individual who chooses a quiet, meaningful life focused on community and family, rather than constantly striving for external recognition in a competitive field. These are not failures; these are triumphs of authenticity.

For me, winning started at home. A home can only get you started, and some families will help, while others may not. I was fortunate enough to know that my parents cared enough to support me. Every achievement was its own win: being Class President, playing on the Volleyball team, going down south and earning an extra history credit when I graduated high school, traveling to Tennessee for a global final acting competition, the chance I had at passing a model interview – and I succeeded! Getting my high school diploma, my college acceptance letters (I got into many!), being President of a dance club and poetry club at the same time, running fundraisers, organizing dances, volunteering, and helping others… that was me winning. I was started on a good path, but the work alone was my own doing. I had help because I knew where to seek it when we all hit a hard spot, but baby, let’s be honest: I was always going to keep winning because I had the guts to keep going. Those were my wins because I fought hard for them. And as a Black woman, I know I make my kind proud to be free and do what my ancestors fought hard for.

So, I challenge you: If you stripped away every expectation, every societal measure, and every external voice, what would your personal "Hall of Fame" look like, and what would be the first, most authentic achievement you'd celebrate within it?

Stay True Sincerely,

Starlight Sparks

Comments

Popular Posts